Tuesday Round-up for Friends

2008 October 28

This week (in the UK) the government begins changing over to the new Employment Support Allowance (ESA) system. This will gradually replace Incapacity Benefit (IB) and Income Support (IS) for those incapable of work. Because I’m an existing IB claimant, I’m not moved over straight away. But if your a new claimant for “incapacity benefits” you will be going on ESA.

Can I suggest any reader going on or thinking about going on ESA first joins the Benefits and Work website? At the time of writing, it’s annual charge for membership is £18.95. But you will have access to a lot of stuff obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. Click this link to visit to assess it for yourself: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

At any event, you would probably do well to go to an advice centre before claiming. Something like Citizens Advice. My own experience and that relayed by others generally when it comes to benefits is that you should not rely on or trust the JobCentre Plus or Benefits Delivery Centre services. Doing so may cost you lost benefits.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: